Alan Smith is the Director of Sales Tax Services at Sales Tax Colorado, LLC. His primary focus is on Colorado State and local sales and use tax issues and the resulting difficulties and opportunities for those doing business in Colorado.
Alan has also followed sales tax issues nationally. He applies his knowledge to help clients in whatever states they do business in. Alan enjoys helping clients save money, understand the issues and determine taxability. Clients get peace of mind through understanding their obligations, resolving issues and developing procedures to properly comply.
Alan works to defend clients against unfair audits and to reduce tax, penalty and interest assessments. He works to simplify tax laws. Alan also educates taxpayers on sales and use tax issues to prevent or minimize future difficulties.
Alan has held positions with major US and international firms involved in credit and in manufacturing of agricultural and industrial equipment and other products. Alan has also gained invaluable insight and hands-on experience working in smaller firms and through disaster relief operations. Alan enjoys working with a broad range of clientele and can often relate to their varying needs.
Alan strengthens Sales Tax Colorado’s sales and use tax services with a vast breadth of experience. He has also designed and conducted educational seminars and welcomes opportunities to present as a guest speaker.
Alan is an integral part of Sales Tax Colorado’s ongoing research and educational pursuit in developing the firm's growth and success in serving its clientele. Alan stayed on top of multi-state issues and was the editor for Olivier & Associates' monthly sales tax tip.
Alan enjoys helping and serving and eagerly puts his knowledge and experience to work benefiting others. His personal motto, "Helping, informing, serving others. It's what I do. It's who I am." not only defines Alan but Sales Tax Colorado as well. Alan resides in the suburbs of Denver, CO.
Areas of Focus
• Colorado and Multi-state Sales and Use Tax
• Sales and Use Tax managed audits and audit defense
• Sales and Use Tax taxability issues and refund claims
• Penalty Abatement
• Mergers and Acquisitions
• Due Diligence Reviews
• Multi-state use tax reviews
• Multi-state return filing/ compliance
Education / Experience
• University of Colorado Boulder, CO Bachelor's Degree - Economics with a Business Emphasis
• Boston University - Business and Economics: Study / work abroad program - London, England
• Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT), Atlanta, GA - Sales Tax School 1
• Colorado Tax Audit Coalition Education Committee Member (CTAC is a part of Colorado Government Finance Officers Association GFOA)
• Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT) - Prior Member
• Colorado Society of CPAs (Associate Member - Non-CPA) Active participant in the monthly Tax Study Group meeting
Denver Metro office